A violent man who stabbed a friend and subjected his girlfriend to a prolonged and vicious assault has been given a 13-and-a-half-year sentence at court.
Callum Walsh, 29, formerly of Warren Road, Barnham, was the subject of two separate police investigations.
The first followed a stabbing in 2021 and the second started as a result of abuse and controlling behaviour reported to Sussex Police in January 2023.
Hove Crown Court was told that Walsh attacked a man at a property in Littlehampton on the afternoon of Sunday 23 May 2021. The pair had been drinking all night and throughout the morning.
They started arguing and Walsh struck the man across the head with a bottle and then stabbed him, causing significant injuries.
He was arrested the next day on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, charged with the same offence and released on court bail pending a hearing.
In December 2022, while Walsh was awaiting trial for the GBH, he met his next victim – a woman in her twenties.
Sussex Police said: “Over the next few weeks Walsh subjected her to paranoid, coercive and threatening behaviour, attempting to control where she went and who she saw.
“Where he perceived her to have fallen out of his control, he would violently assault her.
“In the early hours of Saturday 14 January 2023, Walsh carried out a final, prolonged assault on his victim, who was able to escape her property and call the emergency services.
“Police attended, put safeguarding measures in place to protect her and urgently sought Walsh’s arrest.
“He was subsequently arrested in Cornwall in June and charged with non-fatal strangulation, causing actual bodily harm (ABH) and engaging in coercive or controlling behaviour and remanded in custody.
“While in custody, he pleaded guilty to the charge of GBH with intent relating to the separate investigation.”
At Brighton Crown Court on Wednesday 8 November, Walsh pleaded guilty to non-fatal strangulation.
Charges of assault causing ABH and coercive or controlling behaviour were ordered to remain on the file.
He was sentenced in relation to both matters at Hove Crown Court on Friday 22 December by Judge Jeremy Gold.
Judge Gold gave him an extended sentence of 13 and a half years, with 8 and a half years in custody and a further five years on extended licence.
Detective Inspector Gary Jacobs said: “Callum Walsh is a violent offender who was rightly found by the court to pose a clear danger to the public.
“Thankfully, both of his victims in these investigations have physically recovered from his violent attacks but must live with the lasting psychological impacts.
“Both have shown incredible determination and courage to support this investigation through to its conclusion. Thanks to them, Walsh is now behind bars where he cannot harm any other women.
“If you or someone you know is in an abusive or controlling relationship, please report it to police online, via 101 or by dialling 999 in an emergency.
“We have a range of discreet methods of reporting and accessing support without your abuser finding out.”
For more information, click here.