An 18-year-old BMW driver has been banned from the road for 18 months after police spotted him driving while disqualified twice in a week.
Barry Ayres, of Linden Road, Bognor, was also given a suspended prison sentence after he pleaded guilty in court in Crawley earlier this week.
Sussex Police said: “A teenager has received an extensive driving ban following excellent work by police.
“Roads Policing Unit (RPU) officers spotted a blue BMW 3 Series travelling westbound on the A259 towards Flansham at around 10.50pm on Thursday 5 February.
“Supported by Dog Unit officers, they successfully boxed in the car on the Felpham Relief Road.
“It was driven by 18-year-old Barry Ayres, of Linden Road, Bognor, who was still subject to a driving ban having been convicted in August 2024.
“Ayres had also been spotted driving the same vehicle by RPU officers a few days previously on Friday 30 January.
“They were unable to stop him at the time as they were responding to a high-priority incident. However, the incident was logged for intelligence.
“Ayres was subsequently arrested and charged with two counts of driving while disqualified and two counts of driving while uninsured – on Friday 30 January and Thursday 5 February.
“He was remanded in custody to appear before Crawley Magistrates’ Court on Monday 16 February where he pleaded guilty to all offences.
“Ayres was sentenced to eight weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and further disqualified from driving for 542 days.”
PC Rob Potter, of the Roads Policing Unit, said: “We are committed to keeping disqualified drivers off our roads and will robustly deal with these offences, remanding offenders before the courts where necessary.”






