• About
  • Contact
Sussex News
22 August, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Arts and Culture
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Public notices
    • Add a public notice
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Arts and Culture
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Public notices
    • Add a public notice
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
Sussex News
No Result
View All Result
Home News 999

Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies

by Frank le Duc
21 August, 2026
in 999, News, West Sussex
0
Body recovered from water near Shoreham Harbour

The fourth member of a family pulled from the water in Shoreham earlier this week has died in hospital.

Six-year-old Saja El-Khawas died today (Friday 21 August), Sussex Police said tonight.

The force said: “A six-year-old girl pulled from the water in Shoreham on Tuesday (18 August) has sadly died.

“Emergency services were called to the sea off Shoreham Fort at around 2.40pm on Tuesday to a report of four people in difficulty in the water.

“Hassan El-Khawas, 55, his wife, Zeina Alayn, 37 and their 14-year-old daughter, Sara El-Khawas all tragically died at the scene while Saja El-Khawas – the daughter of Hassan and Zeina, sister to Sara – was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

“Despite the best efforts of emergency and hospital staff, Saja has now been confirmed deceased.

“The family’s next of kin are aware and continue to receive the full support of our officers during this unimaginably difficult time.

“It is understood the family travelled down from their home in London to visit Shoreham and entered the water from the beach at Shoreham Fort around 2pm on Tuesday afternoon before getting into trouble.

“A significant emergency service response followed including HM Coastguard, the RNLI and South East Coast Ambulance Service and police.

“The investigation into the incident remains open but following review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, the current hypothesis is that this was a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement.

“Our inquiries will continue and a file will be prepared for HM Coroner ahead of an inquest.”

Chief Superintendent James Collis said: “This heartbreaking update is one we all feared in the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragic events.

“I cannot imagine the devastation felt by the wider family of Hassan, Zeina, Sara and Saja after this loss. On behalf of everyone at Sussex Police, I extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences.

“The impact of this tragedy has been felt across the country and I know the Shoreham community, emergency responders and all involved will continue to be affected for a long time to come.

“I would like to thank all of the public who have shared their sympathies and kind words and once again ask for the victims’ family and loved ones to be left to grieve in privacy.”

ShareTweetSendSendShare
ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Most Read

Masturbating handyman gets off

Young man fighting for his life after car park incident last night

M23 closed as body recovered from road

Man faces jail over violent and abusive relationship

Woman dies in crash last night

Female teacher sexually abused schoolgirl

New Horsham retail park with Lidl, B&Q plus Starbucks and McDonald’s drive-thrus approved

Two men charged with stabbing

Man arrested for murder after seafront stabbing

Hit and run driver jailed for killing man on zebra crossing

Newsletter

Archive

August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

Arts and Culture

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August, 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August, 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August, 2026

Sport

Harbour site to become padel courts

Harbour site to become padel courts

4 June, 2026
Firefighter to tackle personal Marathon challenge

Firefighter to tackle personal Marathon challenge

10 April, 2026
Court fines woman and bans her from football grounds over anti-semitic abuse

Court fines woman and bans her from football grounds over anti-semitic abuse

29 May, 2025
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Sussex Online News

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Arts and Culture
  • Sport
  • Contact

© 2023 Sussex Online News

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
×